The Bullnose

The Bullnose
This is how she looked the day she came home, 29 January 2009

18 February 2010

Onward... and the pit in my stomach.

I finally had a few spare hours and with the Teutonic B*&$% in good shape and my trusty 900 in good shape, I was ready to get out and spend some quality time with the 96.

I've gotten (almost) as far as I can in the engine compartment without also getting everything disconnected in the cabin.  I was feeling a little spunky so I decided to take the driver's side door off.  I soaked the huge screws that hold the hinges in and I still had to drill every one of them out.

















I started working on the dash.  I ripped out the completely rotten and rusty weather strip around the door.  Then, I moved to the steering wheel and gear shift.  Neither were too hard to figure out.  I had ignored some cracks on the steering wheel when I was smitten with my purchase but it looks like I'll either replace or fabricate another one.
 
By the way, does anyone know what goes on the right side of the steering mount on the opposite side from the hazard lights?  It looks like something goes there but I can't tell what.
While I was removing the steering wheel and gear shift, I noticed that the wood on the floorboard was moving in "funny" ways.  At this point, if there are any children in the room, those suffering from heart conditions or Saabers with vintage Swede blood in their veins, I suggest they avert their eyes.  I decided to go ahead and pull up the wood and find out why things felt a tad... precarious.

What's behind door number 1?


Judging by the rust on the wheel well, the fact that the gas pedal had just come off in my hand and the obviously rusted out door sill, I steeled myself.  

But, I was not ready for this:


Yep, that's the floor of my garage.  Lots of it.  Ha!  Isn't that the exhaust I see through the giant hole in my floorplan?  Yes, yes it is.

Another angle of the cancer:



At this point, I'm starting to think that the only thing holding this car together is the roof.



Clearly, my work is very much cut out for me.  A total floorpan replacement is in order.  One of the sills is completely shot and will require extensive rework.  Needless to say, I will be doing the rest of the interior disassembly from outside the car.

Also, I feel a twinge of... anger.  I simply cannot understand how someone slaps a chunk of wood siding over rust that is literally destroying the car.  

Oh, and I've decided not to mention the stuck piston until I get out.

No comments:

Post a Comment