The Bullnose

The Bullnose
This is how she looked the day she came home, 29 January 2009

04 February 2010

Engine Dissassembly

The PO had told me that the engine would not turn over so I wanted to figure that out.  Also, the crank will need to be rebuilt so I needed to get it out send it to West of Sweden for rebuild.

I removed all of the bolts on the head.  There is a metal gasket between the head and the block and I really had to wail on the head with a rubber mallet to get it off.  The reason the engine would not turn over was readily apparent:
Number 3 cylinder had stopped close to TDC with coolant in it... who knows when.  I surmise that the gasked failed at some point and the cylinder filled with coolant.  That may well be the reason why the car was parked. 

There was about a 1/4" inch of rust sludge on the cylinder and coating the bore.  I cleaned it all out and put some penetrating oil in the bore.  It didn't go anywhere.  Oh well, on to the rest of dissassembly. 

The distributor appears to be ruined.  The cap is definitely broken but I can't imagine how 48 year old Bakelite would withstand much abuse. 

I removed both intake and exhaust manifolds.  The carb appears to be in good shape.  That's good because I do plan on mounting a Solex triple carb with a new head so being able to sell the old carb will defray that expense a bit.  (sorry for the crap photos, my camera wasn't charged so I had to use my cellphone)

Next came the engine mounts.  The rubber is pretty rotten but it's interesting to see how mounts used to be made. 

 
I removed the clutch, flywheel and pulley.  Both appear to be in pretty good shape.

That left me with nothing left but to remove all of the bolts to remove the crank bottom.  That reminds me, most of the bolts were relatively easy to remove.  I expected to have to grind most of them off.  However, only one bolt on the exhaust manifold was truly stuck (and came rounded off, thanks PO).

With all of the bolts removed, the crank bottom came off easily.  I missed two on the first go round so I was pretty happy when it popped right off.  The two halves are machined together and there is no gasket. 
The engine sat overnight with penetrating oil in the cylinder.  I'll give it another go when I get home tonight.  Oh, and I'll post more pictures.
I have both the full service manual and the engine section if anyone is interested.
If the link doesn't work, just email me and I'll send it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment